A frozen AC is when the evaporator coil of an air conditioning system becomes covered in ice or frost. The freezing usually occurs due to a combination of factors such as inadequate airflow, insufficient refrigerant levels or broken components. At Heblon Heating and Air Conditioning, we are committed to helping you repair your frozen air conditioner.
Signs You Have A Frozen AC
When an AC freezes, the cooling efficiency is affected, potentially leading to further damage if not addressed promptly. Some common signs of a frozen air conditioner include:
- Ice formation on HVAC unit
- Warm air blowing from vents
- Lack of airflow
- Hissing sound coming from the unit
If you notice any of these signs, take steps to thaw your air conditioner and reach out for a professional system inspection. Running your system while it’s frozen can cause your AC to breakdown.
How To Repair A Frozen AC?
To repair a frozen AC, turn off the unit and let the ice melt completely. You should refrain from scraping off the ice because doing so can damage the delicate fins of the evaporator coil. Once the ice has melted, you can follow these steps to get your system back in good working order:
- Check the air filter: A dirty or clogged filter can restrict airflow, leading to freezing. Replace or clean the air filter if necessary.
- Ensure proper airflow: Ensure all vents and registers are open and unobstructed. Ensure that furniture, curtains or other objects are not blocking the airflow.
- Inspect the blower fan: Make sure the blower fan is working correctly. You may need to schedule repair or replacement it if it is not running or is spinning slowly.
- Check refrigerant levels: Low refrigerant levels can cause the evaporator coil to freeze. Homeowners should not work with refrigerant. Only a certified HVAC technician should inspect the system for leaks and recharge the refrigerant if necessary.
- Clean the evaporator coil: Over time, the evaporator coil can accumulate dirt and debris, hindering proper heat exchange. A professional cleaning can help restore its efficiency.
Verify the thermostat settings: Ensure the thermostat is set to the correct temperature and mode (cooling mode) and functioning properly. Calibrate or replace the thermostat if necessary.
- Changing air filters, unblocking vents and cleaning your outdoor unit are all tasks most homeowners can do themselves. For more detailed services like charging refrigerant, working with electrical wiring and testing your system’s efficiency, reach out to the professionals on our team.
Seeking Professional Help for a Frozen AC
AC repairs can be complex, and seeking professional HVAC repair is recommended if you are unsure or uncomfortable performing the above steps. Regular AC maintenance and prompt repairs can prevent AC freezing and ensure the optimal performance of your cooling system.
Fortunately, we have you covered at Heblon Heating and Air Conditioner. We provide five-star customer service and stand by the work we do. Contact us today for your Meridian AC repair and see the difference our services can make for your home!